Back in 2008, Crystal and I started collecting fitness equipment. Like Johnny Cash’s Cadillac, we literally built 204 one piece at a time whenever we got a little extra cash.
I can tell you a story about almost every piece of equipment, and it’s all been lovingly cared for over the years. Any time we get to add to the pile, it feels like our birthday, and we love to see your excitement when we unveil new toys.
Now in the crazy times we get to write new stories about our collection of equipment. And you get to help.
Here’s a piece of good news for you: We’re going to lend out the gym’s equipment to help members stay fit at home during this period of enforced social distancing.
We were waiting for details from the government regarding timelines because our priority is always ensuring we can serve our clients the way we have for more than a decade. But now that we know we’ll be closed for at least 30 days—and we’re prepared for more—we can release the equipment to better serve you all in your homes.
We can adapt to the new reality, and we want to help you do the same.
Our main priority is fairness. We have literally no way to decide who gets what because we simply don’t have enough for everyone. So we’d like to ask you to send an email to Crystal@crossFit204.com with the subject line “204 Gear.” In your email, please list, in order of priority, the four items that would help you most. We’ll compare the list against our inventory and do our best to make sure everyone has at least one item that can be used in many ways.
In cases where we must, we will simply do a random draw in the interests of fairness.
A few notes:
– If you have a home gym with some equipment, we’d ask you to note that so we can give priority to anyone who hasn’t got any equipment at all.
– We’re not going to loan out the bikes, rowers, SkiErgs, gymnastics rings or bands. They require constant maintenance and cleaning—ask Cody and Deklund—and we don’t have enough to divide them fairly. They’re also not usable at present in our online programming, which is our main focus. The items available will be dumbbells, barbells, bumper plates, kettlebells, medicine balls and abmats.
The Rules—With Love
You’ll have to forgive us for this section. If you’ve ever lent out a Bon Jovi CD never to have it returned, you’ll understand. When we are allowed to reopen, we can’t function without our equipment, so we have to make sure it comes back. It’s not that we don’t trust you. It’s that we made a commitment to our entire membership, and we need to ensure we can fulfill that whenever we can reopen.
– We’ll sign out the equipment and log who has what. To participate in this program, you must be a current member and have a valid credit card on file. If the item isn’t returned, we just put the replacement cost on the credit card.
– You agree to treat the equipment well and bring it back as clean as it was when it went out. No muddy fields, please.
– When we are allowed to reopen, you agree to return all equipment clean and in good order within a two-day window so we can get back up to speed immediately. We don’t want to inconvenience you, but we’re not going to inconvenience our other members either when it’s time to train together again.
We’re going to do everything we can to make your lives better as we all weather the storm. We love each of you dearly, and we’re invested in your success. We’re honoured that you train with us. We’ve got more plans to announce in the coming weeks. The goal is the same as it ever was: Help you stay fit and healthy.
Thanks for your support!
Mike and Crystal